Student Loan Opportunities
Students may apply for Connecticut state loans through the Connecticut Higher Education Supplemental Loan Authority (CHESLA), which offers low-fixed-interest-rate loans, with no application fees. Applicants – or co-applicants, if any – must have a minimum $20,000 gross annual income, and monthly loan installment payments must amount to 40% or less of monthly gross income. Students may defer interest while in school and for a 6-month grace period (interest is capitalized annually). The CALS Graduate Institute School Code is 117777-00. Access the loan hotline at 800-935-2275 or visit www.chesla.org for more information.
Need-based scholarships are available to eligible candidates who have financial hardship and can provide documentation (most recent tax return and statement of need) to support their need. The Need-based Scholarship can be applied to these programs: Master of Arts, Planned 30-credit Program, 6th Year Certificate, Graduate Certificates, and Coaching With Spirit Coach Training.
Send an email to email@example.com with the following attachments:
- the TGI Need-Based Scholarship Form (link below)
- tax return, and
- personal statement
Need-Based Scholarship - COVID-19
The Graduate Institute has a limited number of COVID-19 Partial Scholarships for students financially impacted by the
COVID-19 pandemic and who are applying to one of the Institute’s Master of Arts, Planned 30-Credit Program, 6th Year Certificate, or Graduate Certificate program. An applicant must submit the Need-Based Scholarship application (above) and most recent tax return, personal statement of need and write a brief essay responding to the following question:
"How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected your ability to pay full tuition and fees for your Graduate Institute program?"Email all documents as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tuition Waiver for Six Credits for Educators in Priority and Alliance Districts*
Applicants who teach full time in Priority and Alliance School Districts*
- For an MA degree, $2,700 (six credits) tuition waiver;
- For the Sixth Year Certificate in Learning and Thinking, $1,800 (four credits) tuition waiver.
- For the Planned 30-Credit Program, $1,800 (four credits) tuition waiver.
*Ansonia, Bloomfield, Bristol, Bridgeport, Danbury, Derby, East Hartford, East Haven, East Windsor, Hamden, Hartford, Killingly, Manchester, Middletown, Naugatuck, New Britain, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, Norwich, Putnam, Stamford, Vernon, Waterbury, West Haven, Winchester, Windham, Windsor, and Windsor Locks.
Alumni Partial Tuition Waiver
An alumnus of any of The Graduate Institute's Master of Arts degree programs qualifies for these partial tuition waivers:
- $2,000 towards another MA degree
- $1,200 towards the Sixth Year Certificate in Learning & Thinking
- $1,200 towards a "Planned 30-Credit Program"
- $1,000 towards a 12-credit Certificate program
- $750 towards a 9-credit Certificate program
- $500 towards a 6-credit Certificate program
- $300 towards the CWS coaching program
- $300 towards the Holistic Nursing Board Exam Preparation Course
Application fees are waived for alumni.
Coaching with Spirit graduates qualify for a $300 tuition waiver for a masters program.
Alumnus tuition waivers may be available for current students. Consult admissions.
Tuition Waiver for up to Six Credits for an MA Program
Master of Arts students may apply for a tuition waiver for up to six (6) credits if they show evidence (official transcript) for credits of graduate study as a non-matriculated student. Requests for this tuition waiver are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Transfer of Credit
Requests for transfer of credits are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Determination of acceptance of credit is based on appropriate alignment with course offerings. The Academic Affairs Committee renders all decisions regarding transfer of credit.
Important considerations regarding tuition waivers:
- Tuition Waivers will be credited at the end of the degree program.
- Tuition Waivers may not be combined.
- Tuition Waivers will not be applied retroactively.
- Other restrictions may apply. Policies are subject to change.